• If the truck you’re connecting to has a 9-Pin (J1939) diagnostic port, your ECM Module should look like this:
• IF the truck you’re connecting to has a 6-Pin (J1708) or 16-Pin (OBD2) diagnostic port, your ECM Module should look like this:
2. ELD Sticker – put this sticker on your cab window so law enforcement can easily identify you as an ELD customer, making the inspection process as painless as possible
3. Y Cable – the “male” end of the cable will link the ECM module to your truck’s diagnostic port, while the “female” end remains free for use with any other devices you may need to plug in while your ELD is installed.
• If you do NOT have the correct cable type to plug into your vehicle’s diagnostic port, please contact Customer Support at 800-968-1869
4. Quick Reference Guide* – Provides guidance on the most commonly used features of the ELD HOS driver app.
5. User Manual* – Complete in-depth instructions on how to use the ELD HOS app on your tablet or mobile device IMPORTANT: Per the ELD mandate, a driver MUST have the ELD’s Quick Reference guide and User Manual available onboard at all times
THE FOLLOWING PARTS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN BYOD PACKAGES:
6. Tablet (8” or 9.6” version, not in BYOD package) – for customers with Dedicated service, the tablet comes with pre-installed rugged case and screen protector
7. Tablet Charging Cable (not in BYOD package)
1. Connect the ELD module to the female OBD2 end of the supplied splitter cable
2. With engine off, locate your truck’s diagnostic port
Generally found under the dash, to the left or right of the steering column. It could be 9-Pin, 6- Pin or 16-Pin, depending on the make/model/year of your vehicle
3. Connect the cable to the truck’s diagnostic port
• Plug the male end of the supplied splitter cable into the truck’s diagnostic port.
• Turn the collar on the cable clockwise to ensure secure connection (for 9-Pin or 6-Pin connectors only)
Note that the female end of the splitter cable keeps the port available for use with any other devices that you may need to connect to the truck while your ELD is still connected.
4. Find a good location to place the ELD module and mobile device/tablet inside your cab
• You can mount the ELD module anywhere on top of or underneath the dash to keep it out of the way while driving
• If you purchased a mount for your mobile device or tablet, make sure you install it in a location that will allow you to easily see and access the device while driving with minimal distraction
• If you do NOT have a mount for your mobile device/tablet, find a good position for it in your cab, ensuring it won’t slide, fall or cause distraction while driving
5. Turn ignition on
You are now ready to pair the ELD module with your tablet or mobile device
1. (For BYOD Only) Go to your mobile device app store to download the ELD/HOS app
2. Locate & log into the ELD/HOS application on your tablet or mobile device
NOTE: If you have NOT yet received login credentials, please check with your fleet manager that is in charge of overseeing your ELD program. They will need to set your Driver account up in the ELD Administrative Portal
3. Ensure the correct vehicle is selected on the app home screen.
If not, initiate an equipment switch by touching the truck icon directly below where your name appears:
• On the “Select Equipment” popup, touch the field next to “Vehicle Name” to pull up a dropdown list of equipment. Touch the name of the correct equipment to select it. Then select “SWITCH” to complete the switch
4. Click the “Connect” button in the yellow bar at the top of the screen
5. Select “Manual Connection” on the “Connect to Vehicle” popup
6. Selecting proper VBUS Device
• FOR TRUCKS WITH 9-PIN (J1939) CONNECTORS: Select radio button next to “ELM327 (BAFX,…)” on the Supported VBUS Devices popup, and hit “Next”
• FOR TRUCKS WITH 6-PIN (J1708) OR 16-PIN (OBD2) CONNECTORS: Select radio button next to “Geometris” on the Supported VBUS Devices popup, and hit “Next”
7. Grant permission to turn on Bluetooth if not already enabled on your device
8. Pairing device (IF YOU HAVE A 6-PIN OR 16-PIN OBD2, SKIP TO STEP #9)
• FOR TRUCKS WITH 9-PIN (J1939) CONNECTOR: On the Select Device popup, hit “PAIR”
• On your device’s Bluetooth Settings menu, select “ELD/HOS” from the list of available Bluetooth devices
• When prompted, enter “1234” as the device PIN and hit “ok”
• After successful pairing, select the triangle “back” button at the bottom of your screen to navigate back to the ELD app
Back in the ELD app, on the Select Device popup menu:
i. Make sure “ELD/HOS” device is selected
ii. Then hit “CONNECT”
9. FOR TRUCKS WITH 6-PIN (J1708) OR 16-PIN OBD2 CONNECTORS: On the “Select Geometris Device” popup, select the device with “WQ” followed by a 12-digit serial number.
10. Select “OK” on the VBUS Progress popup
11. The VBUS Connectivity icon in the action bar at the top of the screen should change to a radiating antenna to indicate a successful connection with the ELD module